Betnovate ointment is a topical corticosteroid applied to the skin to treat skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and dermatitis. The ointment contains betamethasone valerate, which reduces swelling, inflammation, itchiness, and irritation. Betnovate ointment works by reducing the release of inflammatory substances within the affected skin cells. This then reduces redness and swelling.
Betnovate ointment may be prescribed to treat:
• Eczema in both children and adults, including atopic and discoid eczemas
• Prurigo nodularis
• Psoriasis, excluding widespread plaque psoriasis
• Neurodermatoses, including lichen simplex and lichen planus
• Seborrhoeic dermatitis
• Contact sensitivity reactions
• Discoid lupus erythematosus
• Generalised erythroderma in addition to systemic steroid therapy
Betnovate ointment is to be used as instructed by a doctor for a short period of time. Prolonged usage can cause side effects such as thinning of the skin. Please inform your doctor if you are pregnant, breastfeeding or have any underlying medical conditions.
Do not use this ointment if you are allergic to betamethasone valerate or any other included ingredients. If you have previously experienced an allergic reaction with another topical steroid, please contact your doctor or a pharmacist before use.