Sudden Cardiac Arrest
Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) is a leading cause of premature death, but with immediate treatment many lives can be saved. SCA occurs because the electrical rhythm that controls the heart is replaced by a chaotic disorganised electrical rhythm called ventricular fibrillation (VF).
Most cases of SCA are due to an abnormality of the heart’s electrical rhythm called ventricular fibrillation (VF)
AEDs are easy to use, compact, portable and very effective. They are designed to be used by lay persons; the machines guide the operator through the process by verbal instructions and visual prompts. They are safe and will not allow a shock to be given unless the heart’s rhythm requires it.
Most cases of SCA are due to an abnormality of the heart’s electrical rhythm called ventricular fibrillation (VF) in which the electrical impulses that normally control the heart become chaotic and uncoordinated. The heart stops beating (i.e. it ceases to act as a pump) and the circulation of blood stops. Death is inevitable unless the condition is recognised promptly and defibrillation is carried out. Defibrillation is the use of a high-energy electric shock that stops the chaotic rhythm of VF and allows the normal, organised, electrical rhythm of the heart to re-start. This can allow the pumping action of the heart to return.
The term ‘heart attack’ is often used to refer to SCA, but this is incorrect. A heart attack (or myocardial infarction) occurs when an artery (‘fuel pipe’) supplying the heart with blood (‘fuel’) becomes blocked. This usually causes chest pain and leads to damage to some of the muscle of the heart. It may cause SCA, particularly in the early stages, but this is by no means inevitable.
The information included above is provided by the Resuscitation Council (UK) and British Heart Foundation.
The new iPAD SP1 Semi-Automatic AED is the latest in the range of intelligent public access defibrillators from one of the world’s leading manufacturer’s of clinical defibrillator monitors. Designed to be used by minimally trained individuals, the iPAD SP1 is suitable for use almost anywhere that people gather, whether it’s within the workplace, a shopping centre or a hospital, the iPAD SP1 makes saving lives easier than ever.
Easily switch from Adult to Child mode without changing pads with safety cover preventing accidental switching. Smaller child pads are also available but are not a requirement for effective use.
Ambient noise detector measures level of background noise and adjusts the volume of the voice prompts accordingly, which is ideal for noisy environments such as public places, factories, warehouses, schools etc.
Integrated pad storage – electrode pads are stored, pre-connected, in a clear compartment on the underside of the unit. Pads are easily removed by pulling on the exposed tab. The pads are always ready for use and easily checked.
CPR Detection – the iPAD SP1 detects if CPR is being performed when appropriate. If CPR is not being performed, voice prompts encourage the responder to ‘perform CPR’. If CPR is being performed, voice prompts encourage the responder to ‘continue CPR’. Throughout a rescue, the responder can decide whether or not the CPR metronome is heard.
The visual indicator shows at a glance: battery life, unit status & pad status, with unit performing a self-test every day to ensure functionality.
Internal memory stores the last 5 events/3 hours of data. Data can be transferred via the built in SD card and IrDA (infrared) ports and can be reviewed via PC software and useful ‘handover’ information can brief ambulance crews via audio.
The IP55 rating ensures that the iPad SP1 can be used in harsh environments and also benefits from being splashproof.
The iPad SP1 has a 7 year manufacturer’s warranty, 5 year or 200 shock warranty on the battery and pads expire 3 years from manufacture.
Powerheart G5 – The next big thing in defibrillation.
The Powerheart G5 is the first AED that combines RescueCoach™ prompting, fast shock times and variable escalating energy.
EASY TO USE
- Fully automatic shock delivery eliminates user hesitation (Semi-automatic AED version also available)
- Intuitive, interchangeable pad design simplifies placement
- RescueCoach™ user-paced prompts guide users through each critical step of a rescue
- Text prompts provide extra help in noisy and chaotic environments
- Switch to an alternate language during a rescue with the push of a button to help more potential responders (Available in select languages)
- Intellisense® CPR Feedback Device when used with the Powerheart G5, provides rescuer CPR feedback to aid with effective chest compression rate and depth. Simply place and press
- Delivers post-CPR shock in as few as 10 seconds for effective therapy
- Assesses the patient’s therapy needs and delivers customised shock at an appropriate energy level
- Customisable prompts and protocols to meet user’s needs and preferences
- Automatically detects paediatric pads and delivers a reduced energy shock
- Enables quick transfer and review of data via USB
RUGGED AND RELIABLE
- Rugged, durable design for transport, storage and use in challenging settings
- High ingress protection (IP55) against dust and water for performance in harsh environments
- Meets rigorous military standards for shock and vibration testing
- Rescue Ready® technology self-checks all main AED components (battery, hardware, software and pads) daily. The AED completes a partial charge of the high-voltage electronics weekly and a full charge monthly
- The highly visible Rescue Ready indicator assures responders that they are retrieving a working AED
- 8-year AED warranty
- Medical-grade battery with a 4-year full operational guarantee